Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Utah State Utes - Will They Leave?

Just when I thought I had displayed a slight modicum of intelligence the Pac 10 removes all doubt....I don't know diddly.

In an earlier post I suggested that the Big 12 might look to the Mountain West as a remedy to fill the void left in the conference by their two defectors, Colorado to the Pac10 and Nebraska to the Big 10. My guess was they would look at BYU, TCU and Utah. That still may be the case.

However I did overlook the Pac 10 needing to add one more to bring them balance and create the newly expanded conference to the PAC12.

After being rejected by Texas, Oklahoma, and two others, the PAC 10 has struck first by offering and Invitation to the Utah Utes to join their conference. As of this writing there has been no public response from the Utes.

I can think of a few reasons why they would say no and a few reasons why they would say yes. However my keen insights to all this conference musical chairs has only demonstrated my insights are as agile as an iron deer on the front lawn so I will take a pass.

It will be interesting to see what Utah decides and if the Big 12 will follow suite and try to raid the Mountain West Conference like the PAC 10 has. If they do and say BYU and TCU are asked and accepted, what will happen to the MWC? Will it become the new WAC?

As we know the MWC was formed from former WAC teams, will current WAC teams be invited to fill the void providing current MWC teams jump?


I wont hazard a guess, but will just sit back and wait and see what happens. At this stage it really is anyones guess.

No comments: