Thursday, February 17, 2011

Cam Newton Beats Reggie Bush


Why should college athletes play it straight? It seems in the world of college sports if you are crooked you can get a big pay check, doesn't seem to matter that they cheated to win.

I know I rant about this sort of thing alot and have gone off on Cam Newton a few times. I recognize his football talent but have no respect for the player or the man.

Is it just me or did some of you think Newton was laughing all the way through last season on his way to the Heisman and the National Title Game? I was left with the impression he was taunting the public laughing at all of his as he saw rules changed or ignored to protect his eligibility status. What little I read of his Heisman speech made me sick. To me he comes across as arrogant and with the opinion I am Cam the rules don't apply to me.

Personally I think Stanford's Andrew Luck should have won that award, not Scam Newton.

You look at Reggie Bush, he did similar to Newton and got a nice endorsement deal with Addidas and was paid a million a year to be the face of their products. Bush became and instant millionaire for cheating, he did suffer giving back his unearned Heisman. To me, so what, that doesn't give the guy that should have won the thrill of having his family and friends see him have his day in the sun.

What Bush did was become instantly rich and left others to pay the bill and the USC Trojans of today are the ones picking up the tab. Pete Carroll is safe in the pros with the Seattle Sea Hawks while the men from Troy lose scholarships and can't play in an bowl games.

So far Newtons's career seems to be following that of Reggie Bush, he has signed a deal with Under Armour that is said to surpass the amount received by Reggie Bush.

I guess all that's left is to see if Auburn will get punished as hard as USC and if Heisman people will more quickly ask for the trophy back than they did with Bush. Right now Newton, well he is laughing all the way to the bank while when its all said and done will leave others to pick up the tab for his act.

No comments: